[FC] Fwd: ring and pinion gear

Thu Aug 7 13:19:00 2003

attached is email i sent to bob if others have interest

prepare for a storm of controversy, this has often been a hot topic w/fc folks

i have a '64 brier, daily driver @1500 miles per month, mainly highway

recently converted from 3:55 to 3:27, and i am very pleased.

the 3:55 was horrible for me around town, 1st gear was really low and almost worthless

the 3:27 is 100% better @town and shifts much smoother, particularly the transistion from 1st to 2nd gear

the downside is that 4th gear is ALOT taller, getting on the freeway, i run 3rd up to 45-50, and there is still not tremendous punch when i shift to 4th, so it takes me longer to get to 70-75 cruising and its not as responsive as the 3:55 was at that speed, but the motor is running at a noticeably lower rpm

so my input from someone who has recntly converted from 3:55, i like it and will continue to use 3:27, you do give up some responsiveness, and havent towed yet but suspect will lose some there also

my 'brier however is mainly highway and around town "car driving" so its a good fit for me

hope this is helpful

keith graham
'64 brier
'63 monza vert