[FC] Some resuscitation advice please

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Sat Aug 23 15:18:00 2003

Personally, I would put a battery in it and see if it will crank........ if it
does, then put some Stabil in the gas tank and hopefully it will help bring
the old fuel back to life.  I have seen it do that more than once.  The fuel
today isn't as good as the fuel that we got 3 years ago and that isn't as good
as the fuel in 1967.  Having said that, I would also put some premium gasoline
into the tank.... about 5 gallons worth.  Then pour a few ounces in the carb
and crank it over.  Don't forget to put the air cleaner back on so if it
backfires you don't have an engine fire.  Always keep a fire extinguisher near
by when working on an engine.  Safety First!!  ..... When it starts up, it
will smoke a little from the old gas, but it should be as good as when you put
it away.  I have started engines that have sat in dry storage for 30 years
without any problems other than the gasoline in the tank turning to varnish.
Some people might not agree with this, but this is only one opinion since you
asked for it......... Paul in CT.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Charles M. Wrobel
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org
  Sent: Saturday, August 23, 2003 2:11 PM
  Subject: [FC] Some resuscitation advice please

  I'm going to resurrect my 69 Falcon which has been
  stored for a few years. It's a six with auto trans. when
  I parked it (about three years ago) I shot some engine
  storage spray oil in the cylinders and that's about it.
  I haven't turned the engine over for about a year and a
  half. I'm thinking I should first remove the plugs and
  try to turn over by hand to see if the pistons move.
  Then I will drain the gas tank and rebuild the carb
  which, as I recall, could use it anyway (single barrel -
  tiny thing). Yes, I am one of those idiots who thought I
  would be driving it soon after I parked it so never took
  the time to use a gas stabilizer. Do I have to pull the
  tank and fuel lines to clean them or try first and pray
  for a miracle?

  I'm looking for other ideas to watch for and I have no
  idea about the transmission which was working fine
  before. Is there any kind of prep for the auto trans I
  need to know about? Or just check the level and give it
  a go?

  Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

  Charles