[FC] Changed Tirque Converter, Now a Vibration...UPDATE

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Sun Aug 31 18:00:02 2003

I have never seen a converter that had that kind of run out ever.  The only
thing that I can think of is that the collar on the converter is bent in
relationship to the converter body...... but that would only make it wobble,
not have 1/4" run out... only my opinion..... To have that amount of run out,
it would have had to been welded together improperly.....
I have a GM factory remanufactured one in the GM box if you decide that you
want to buy it.... GM never offered a NEW part according to the Chevrolet
parts book.  Don't know if this would be correctly called a NOS part, but it
is the way that Chevrolet sold them...... Paul
 in CT
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mikeamauro@aol.com
  To: virtualvairs@corvair.org ; corvanatics@corvair.org
  Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2003 4:39 PM
  Subject: [FC] Changed Tirque Converter, Now a Vibration...UPDATE

  Idled real slow and looked through opening in housing....Observed (at least)
  1/4" converter runout (read wobble).  Either the converter is not bolted up
  square, or the rebuilder did a poor job of reassembling the torque
converter.
  Anything else cause the wobble?
  Thanks,
  Mike Mauro

  In a message dated 8/30/03 7:33:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Mikeamauro
  writes:

  > Thanks to all who replied to my query concerning boil out of tranny fluid
  > from 64 Greenbrier PG.  Installing a rebuilt torque converter solved the
boil
  > out of tranny fluid.  Unfortunately, now a different problem: A rotational
  > vibration/shutter, when engine is revved in neutral, and when moving in
drive.
  > The vibration won't shake your eye teeth out, but it's definitely
  > there....starts about 2200 RPM.  The rebuilt converter came from a Corvair
vendor, and
  > was advertised as "professionally rebuilt with all worm parts replaced".
  > suppose a torque converter can be out of balance?  Any ideas, similar
  > experiences?  Not looking forward to dealing with the vendor, nor pulling
the drive
  > train back out.
  >
  > Thanks in advance for any advice/insights forthcoming,
  > Mike Mauro, 64 Greenbrier Deluxe, PG, A/C
  Thanks to all who replied to my query concerning boil out of tranny fluid
  from 64 Greenbrier PG.  Installing a rebuilt torque converter solved the
boil out
  of tranny fluid.  Unfortunately, now a different problem: A rotational
  vibration/shutter, when engine is revved in neutral, and when moving in
drive.  The
  vibration won't shake your eye teeth out, but it's definitely
there....starts
  about 2200 RPM.  The rebuilt converter came from a Corvair vendor, and was
  advertised as "professionally rebuilt with all worm parts replaced".  I