[FC] Greenbrier audio systems(just dreams yet)

Tue Dec 23 10:30:06 2003

   I'm looking at one of the vintage style cd or tape decks that you can get
from the 'Vair catalogs or JC Whitney. I have an old 10-disc changer that
hooks up through the antenna of any FM radio deck; it will actually fit in the
space behind the glove box door (cardboard removed). As for speaker placement,
probably some 6.5" two-ways in the front doors, and a pair of 6x9's behind the
rear seat somewhere. The motor on my Greenbriar is so loud, I don't know if
having sound in the back would be worth the trouble. Maybe I need new exhaust
gaskets? I get an exhaust smell in the cab when I'm driving slower than 30mph.

   Ideally, I would like to have a deck that mounts out of site and is
controlled with a remote. I went to Florida last week, and the minivan that I rented
had most of the stereo controls mounted directly in the steering wheel, and
it was a very good idea. Some of the more expensive decks have steering wheel
remotes, but you still have the deck mounted right in the middle of your dash
(unsightly in a vintage car). I may go the path of least resistance and mount a
modern size DIN deck in the stock radio housing, and fabricate a cover or a
panel that hinges down to reveal the deck when in use.

Bill B