[FC] (no subject)

Bill Wells corvanatics@corvair.org
Sun Dec 28 21:22:07 2003

Bob,

Transmission whining is typically gear noise. In
Corvairs that usually means low lube level. I suppose
a badly worn rear mainshaft bearing could cause the
first two gears to whine, but I have never seen one
that bad. The most prevalent problem I run across in
four speeds is the cluster gear needle bearings and
the cluster gear shaft they ride on.
Has your shop pulled the cluster gear and checked the
shaft and bearings? It is a tedious job to put back
together, so perhaps they cut a corner or two.
You might also pull the cover off the differential and
check for excessive backlash.
Let us know what you find.

Thanks,
Bill