[FC] Looking for advice about harmonic balancer clearance

Bryan Blackwell corvanatics@corvair.org
Wed Dec 31 13:18:05 2003

Be aware that the '64 car bracket is not exactly the same - Chevy moved
the engine mount bolt back about 3/8" to allow for the balancer + a/c
pulley (there's a photo of the two car mounts in the Corvair
Underground catalog) while the FC continued with the '60 style mount
(no a/c in an FC).  What this means is you can run out of adjustment
for toe, since that's done by moving the engine/trans pack back via
shims at the transmission mounting bar.  The '64 or '65 FC (not just
'65 GB) bracket is the best fit, as it was made for an FC with a
balancer on the engine.

--Bryan