[FC] Interesting Development - Brake MC

Paul M. Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Thu Feb 6 18:46:01 2003

Keep in mind that all the master cylinders that you buy today for an older car
have been sitting around in some warehouse for many years.  I would suggest
that if you buy a new one, that you take it apart and lightly hone the bore
and put new rubber cups into it.  I have been hearing a lot about people that
have replaced cylinders and a year later they are leaking.  Easier to do it
now than to have to do the job twice.  The rubber cups are all relatively
inexpensive........... others might disagree, but this is my opinion.... for
what it is worth ...... Paul in CT
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Keith Jarvis
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org
  Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 6:30 PM
  Subject: Re: [FC] Interesting Development - Brake MC

  Thank you, I realize that it's a major issue, hence I was planning on
fixing
  it ASAP. Well, as it transpires, my local Checker/Shucks/Kragen stocks MC's
  for the later FC's. I was mostly curious about whether or not there was a
  major chance that my master cylinder was going to tear off of the wall.
I've
  got a sneaking suspicion that no body mods were done when they changed over
  to the two bolt design, aside from possibly not drilling the holes and
  welding the nuts for the other two bolts. Mostly curious about anyone who
  has a 62 who knows it came from the factory with four holes, but a two hole
  MC. Mostly for my occasional, nagging "concourse restoration" urges.