[FC] Those blame baffles

James Davis corvanatics@corvair.org
Fri Feb 7 19:41:01 2003

Gad.  Just go out to your FC's and look at the right and left rear sides of
the engine compartment.  There should be plates attached to the engine
compartment sheet metal near where the frame rails come down to the rear
engine cross mount rail.  If there no plates blocking  1/2 of the cooling
air openings on the sides, then they are missing.  If there are two 4 x 6
inch plates attached with clamps, then you have them.  It was just an
example of what can be found in the assembly manuals. They are only
effective if you drive your FC in temperatures below 40 degrees and the
relative humidly is high.  The most severe carb icing condition is, on the
interstate, in a driving rain, at 34 degrees with a 140 hp engine.  Below
30 degrees there is usually not enough water in the air to cause carb
icing.   If the temp is above 40 degrees then the fuel vaporization in the
carb will not lower the temperature to the freezing point.

I have a set in the shop I will take pictures of and e-mail to you
individually upon request, tomorrow.
Jim Davis