[FC] Those blame baffles

Paul M. Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Fri Feb 7 20:24:00 2003

Jim...... I would like a picture e mailed....... thanks Paul......
noahsarkinc@earthlink.net
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: James Davis
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org
  Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 7:37 PM
  Subject: [FC] Those blame baffles

  Gad.  Just go out to your FC's and look at the right and left rear sides of
  the engine compartment.  There should be plates attached to the engine
  compartment sheet metal near where the frame rails come down to the rear
  engine cross mount rail.  If there no plates blocking  1/2 of the cooling
  air openings on the sides, then they are missing.  If there are two 4 x 6
  inch plates attached with clamps, then you have them.  It was just an
  example of what can be found in the assembly manuals. They are only
  effective if you drive your FC in temperatures below 40 degrees and the
  relative humidly is high.  The most severe carb icing condition is, on the
  interstate, in a driving rain, at 34 degrees with a 140 hp engine.  Below
  30 degrees there is usually not enough water in the air to cause carb
  icing.   If the temp is above 40 degrees then the fuel vaporization in the
  carb will not lower the temperature to the freezing point.

  I have a set in the shop I will take pictures of and e-mail to you
  individually upon request, tomorrow.
  Jim Davis