[FC] Interesting Development - Brake MC

The Source, Inc. corvanatics@corvair.org
Sat Feb 8 05:36:01 2003

Both my Rampsides 1961 & 1962 came with 4 bolt MC.
I rebuilt my 1962 FC MC as I did not have a new available at the time.
I haven't upgraded to Dual as yet - nor upgraded to Braided Stainless Hose
    -  simply because nothing needs servicing... DOT 5 Silicone Brake Fluid.

Keith Jarvis wrote:

>Thank you, I realize that it's a major issue, hence I was planning on fixing
>it ASAP. Well, as it transpires, my local Checker/Shucks/Kragen stocks MC's
>for the later FC's.

Common GM MCs...
Are they - New ? Reman ? Rebuilt ? Price should be an indicator.
Please carefully inspect the bore condition and examine the piston assembly.
Inexpensive are usually not DOT 5 compatible - "rubber" melts...

>I was mostly curious about whether or not there was a
>major chance that my master cylinder was going to tear off of the wall. I've
>got a sneaking suspicion that no body mods were done when they changed over
>to the two bolt design, aside from possibly not drilling the holes and
>welding the nuts for the other two bolts.

You are quite correct.
Our Dual MC  for FC application features a steel spacer plate not as a
reinforcement.
 I have never found / noticed any indication of a stress - attachment
failure whether using 2 or 4 bolt  FC MCs.

> Mostly curious about anyone who
>has a 62 who knows it came from the factory with four holes, but a two hole
>MC.

I have seen some 1963 FC with 4 bolt MC