[FC] Interesting Development - Brake MC

The Source, Inc. corvanatics@corvair.org
Sat Feb 8 05:36:10 2003

Gentlemen,
MC and all Brake System parts - the quality of all components are critical;
inexpensive MC  piston assemblies usually have very poor quality rubber
components;
 if you carefully examine some under magnification
- they appear as ground up rubber - pressed together in a mold. Third
World product.
These all fail very quickly with Dot 3, 4,  & 5.1 Glycol Brake Fluid
and even quicker with DOT 5 Silicone Brake Fluid.

Paul M. Steinberg wrote:

>Keep in mind that all the master cylinders that you buy today for an older car
>have been sitting around in some warehouse for many years.

I have NOS , NORS and New Production MC.
I would service - inspect and install a kit  in any older MC or WC.
Only New Production are fully compatible with both Glycol & Silicone
Brake Fluids

> I would suggest
>that if you buy a new one, that you take it apart and lightly hone the bore
>and put new rubber cups into it.

A very good practice whether is a  NOS, NORS, "new", "reman" , or
"rebuilt" MC.
Purchase a modern materials MC kit that is compatible with all Brake Fluids.

Please use a Hydraulic Assembly Lubricant - not Glycol based brake fluids.

>  I have been hearing a lot about people that
>have replaced cylinders and a year later they are leaking.

Upon our examination these have all proven to be the inexpensive
"rebuilt" products.
No vendor names or countries of origin need to be stated. ; )