[FC] Re: <VV> Diff "Snout" Installation Question

Wed Feb 12 07:32:00 2003

In a message dated 2/12/2003 12:47:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
greenbriergoon@hotmail.com writes:

> I pressed a new throwout bearing snout into my differential on Monday. Last
> night I was sitting around the house and letting my mind wander and I
> started thinking that this might be a source of gear oil leakage.
>
> I didn't use any sealant when pressing it into the diff and the service
> manual doesn't mention anything about using any.

   I always use a thin film around the circumference. Put it on the diff case
not the sleeve. Be sure and not to get any in the oil hole that feeds the
bearing. Also the snout does not have to come all the way out, 1/4"-3/8"
should do it.
   Ken Hand