[FC] Diff "Snout" Installation Question

Duane, Jim corvanatics@corvair.org
Wed Feb 12 09:22:01 2003

If you have already installed the innards, I'd leave it alone.  More
likely to do damage.  The tolerances are SOO tight and the contact areas
so large that I'd seriously doubt you would get a 70-90W gear oil leak.
Your call...

-----Original Message-----
From: VairMech@AOL.COM [mailto:VairMech@AOL.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 7:30 AM
To: virtualvairs@skiblack.com; corvanatics@corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV> Diff "Snout" Installation Question

In a message dated 2/12/2003 12:47:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
greenbriergoon@hotmail.com writes:

> I pressed a new throwout bearing snout into my differential on Monday.

> Last
> night I was sitting around the house and letting my mind wander and I
> started thinking that this might be a source of gear oil leakage.
>
> I didn't use any sealant when pressing it into the diff and the
> service
> manual doesn't mention anything about using any.

   I always use a thin film around the circumference. Put it on the diff
case
not the sleeve. Be sure and not to get any in the oil hole that feeds
the
bearing. Also the snout does not have to come all the way out, 1/4"-3/8"

should do it.
   Ken Hand