[FC] FC tinkering

The Source, Inc. corvanatics@corvair.org
Wed Feb 12 22:16:01 2003

Thomas Stingl wrote:

>My 63 Corvan is not amused being warmed up only
>every 2 months. While the engine still starts up
>instantly and runs nice, after filling some gas
>in the carbs via the vent holes, electrics have
>a puzzle for me:
>The control lamp of the emergency flasher is
>all the time lighted, OTOH the rear tail lights
>no longer work ...
>However, rear flasher lights work when emergency
>switch is activated ... I guess I will look for a
>ground problem first.

First disconnect emergency flasher wiring -to take it out of the circuit.
Check brake light switch...and wiring leads- both are chronic problems
Then check all four corners- sockets, bulbs and  socket to assembly to
body grounds.
I once found an 1156 single contact bulb in place of a 1157 double contact
- was bridging circuits... ...

>The 62 GB project finally sees action, after another
>oldtimer guy in the hall wanted to deposit some
>Borgward fenders in there! I am not storing the
>2nd and 3rd seat bench in my kitchen room for that!
>While starting to remove the main brake cylinder,
>the eccentric push rod pivot bolt does not come
>off due to interference with the frame, but
>probably it can be just pulled out with the whole
>assembly ...

The MC push rod is attached to pedal assembly.
The Dual MC will bolt right up
instructions we provided should be clear.

>The 61 Rampside, my only "streetable" Corvair, enjoys
>the location in the southern Rhein valley, snow only
>in the nearby Black Forest ... but it is still freezing
>over night.

Terrible weather here - SoCal; down to 50's  at night
and finally some winter rain - but probably not enought to avoid summer
drought.
David