[FC] ... heads swap ...

Thomas Stingl corvanatics@corvair.org
Fri Jul 4 17:23:01 2003

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 03:42:49PM -0500, thomas shepard wrote:
> head didn't want to clear the frame. Have you ever tried to take the heads
> off without removing the entire transaxel? We, my brother and I,had to let
> the rear mount completely loose, and let the engine hang down by the front
> mounts. And then we had to take a bottle jack and jack the engine side ways
> so that the head would finally come off of the studs and clear the frame.
> Will we have to take the left axel loose and the left front mount loose so

I had to swap the 140 heads on my Rampside after being into Corvairs
for only 1 day, never been in any engine before. It worked ok,
pulled the axles which is easy to do, and did same as you, loosen
the rear mount. I did not have to jack the engine sideways, probably
due to steeper engine angle (no axles). At this time I had
no place to store a pulled drivetrain.
Having replaced the flywheel in the GB with a friend this spring, I
would nowadays also for a head swap just pull the whole drivetrain.

Thomas