[FC] 140 head flow and low end for a brier?

James Davis corvanatics@corvair.org
Mon Jul 7 09:28:00 2003

There are dozens of Ultra Vans that run 140 heads with two carbs.  With a
heavy weight and Powerglide, there is little reason to wind the engine
out.  The stock carbs flow 87 cfm each and the heads have a maximum
efficiency of 83%.  Figuring a 168 cuin engine that is turning 4,000 rpm
requires 161 cuft of air/fuel per minute the two carbs are sufficient. Now
if you do some head work, run a radical cam (say an OT-30)  with a 4-speed
then the other carbs become a necessity. I have a 140 Rampside with a Ray
Sedman cam and heads, headers and a few other goodies.  It definitely needs
the second set of carbs.  It all depends on your cam, heads and the rpm
range you intend to drive in.
Jim Davis