[FC] suspensions changes on my greenbrier (long, but feedback appreciated)

Mon Jul 28 20:39:00 2003

Keith, it would probably help to make sure on the use of alignment terms,
because your note seems to mix up toe and camber.

Camber: the tilt from vertical when you look at the vehicle from the front or
back.  Positive camber is when the bottom of the tires is closer together
than the top, and is the typical condition of Corvairs and Volkswagens.  (Desired
spec is 3/4 degree positive for rear of FC.)

Caster: the tilt from vertical of the steering knuckle.  You can't see this,
but alignment instruments measure it.  This makes a difference on handling and
stability, but is typically a front suspension adjustment, and not something
we worry about in Corvair rear suspensions.  However, in this case, I don't
know if caster has also been affected by your mod.  A front bicycle wheel has a
lot of positive caster.

Toe: measured in inches of toe-in or toe-out, it is the difference between
the measurement between the front of the wheels and the rear of the wheels, on
either the front suspension or the rear.  Easily visualized when you look down
at your feet -- are your toes closer together than your heels?  That's toe-in.
 Heels closer together than toes?  That's toe-out.  Front wheels are
typically set up for a small amount (1/8 to 1/4 inch) of toe-in.  An FC at proper
riding height should have 1/4 to 1/2 inch of toe-in.  Rear toe is adjusted with
shims.  See pages 3-5 and 3-30 of the 1961 service manual.  I don't have access
to my 1964 manual at the moment, but I doubt the specs are much different for
a 64, if at all.

So, is the problem you're describing camber, or toe?

Larry Hickerson
Albuquerque