[FC] Electric Fuel Pump Failure

* Greenbrier Goon * corvanatics@corvair.org
Tue Jul 29 01:37:01 2003

Hey everybody:

There's just nothing like having your car break down on a 112 degree day.

Today, my electric fuel pump died moments after leaving work for lunch.
Fortunatly I was able to coast into a fast food parking lot so lunch was not
completly ruined.

Anyway, this pump is only about 2 years old.  It is cylider shaped and I
bought it from a Corvair parts supplier.  Seems like it should last longer
than that.

The pump is still making some noise.  It's just not as loud and isn't
moving any fuel.

Back when I bought my FC, everyone I knew who had Corvairs told me not to
use a stock fuel pump.  "They leak". "You'll burn your Van to the ground."

Is this true?  Should I worry about stock pumps?

I had my Van towed home and dropped in the driveway.  It's good to have the
extra mileage plan with AAA.

Charles

Greenbrier World:
http://www.c-zone.net/northgte/greenbrier.htm

1963 Greenbrier PG (soon to be 4 speed)
1963 Corvair 95 4 Speed (soon to be scrap)