[FC] Re: <VV> Electric Fuel Pump Failure

corvairs corvanatics@corvair.org
Tue Jul 29 14:30:01 2003

My comments in text

* Greenbrier Goon * wrote:

> Today, my electric fuel pump died moments after leaving work for
> lunch.  Fortunatly I was able to coast into a fast food parking lot so
> lunch was not completly ruined.
>
> All mechanical devices can fail. The urban myth among some that
> electric fuel pumps are the be-all, end-all is absurd.
>
> Back when I bought my FC, everyone I knew who had Corvairs told me not
> to use a stock fuel pump.  "They leak". "You'll burn your Van to the
> ground."

Not "everyone" I hope, or we really aren't learning anything.

> Is this true?  Should I worry about stock pumps?

As someone who uses exclusivly stock pumps (and have for 36 years and
1.5 million + miles) you should worry no more than you would about any
other part on the car. I always carry a spare pump because if one does
fail (and they will - eventually) you will be stranded.  We all carry a
spare tire don't we? Does that mean that tires are poorly made and
defective?

Lon
www.corvairunderground.com