[FC] Vacation by FC

* Greenbrier Goon * corvanatics@corvair.org
Tue Jun 24 23:54:00 2003

Hey everybody:

Last week I took my Greenbrier on Vacation with me.

I drove from Shasta County down to southern Orange County to visit friends
and to search for parts.  On the way there I stopped at California Corvairs
and picked up a rear and a middle seat and one side cargo door.  Fair prices
and the parts were in great shape. Jeff is a good guy.

I was only able to find one good cargo door of the two that I needed at
California Corvairs.

Later in the week I drove to Larry's Corvair Parts to search for the other
cargo door.  I bought one that I knew had some rust that would need to be
repaired.  Since returning home I have discovered that the rust is much
worse than I thought.  It will need alot of work to be usable.  Not the
fault of Larry's Corvair Parts.  I picked it out of the pile.

So the search may still be on for a good cargo door (right side of vehicle
closest to the rear)

I put about 1700 miles on the FC that week driving all over Orange and L.A.
county including the drive to and from my destination. Got to see a band
called "Unit F" perform in Long Beach.  Lot's of fun.

The Greenbrier ran great all week except for running too cool most of the
time.  I had removed the lower shrouds anticipating hot weather that never
arrived.  I also have a very efficient remote oil cooler that worked too
well.  At some points the oil dropped as low as 125 degrees at freeway
speed. Way too cool.

I experienced my first fan belt failure on the way back home.  About 60
miles north of Sacramento, the fan belt exploded.  I was aware of the
problem as soon as it happened because I smelled burning rubber (belt
remains rubbing on the crankshaft pulley) and the warning light went on.
Good thing I had a spare.  I had to change it at the side of I-5 as traffic
rushed by.

It's my own fault.  The belt was about 6 years old.

Driving over the Grapevine was great.  In the past I have had to inch over
the mountains at about 35-40 mph.  I guess my dual exhaust and a very good
tune up payed off because I never dropped below 55 mph the whole time. I was
amazed.

Charles

Greenbrier World:
http://www.c-zone.net/northgte/greenbrier.htm

1963 Greenbrier PG (soon to be 4 speed)
1963 Corvair 95 4 Speed (soon to be scrap)