[FC] some FC questions

Keith Jarvis corvanatics@corvair.org
Sun Mar 30 07:23:01 2003

> I just bought new tires 205/70/15 and they fit perfectly.  Has anyone ever
> flared the wheel wells?
I've thought about this recently, but then I looked at the 195/70/15's on my
'brier, and thought about the things I've done with it, and then thought
"It's really not worth it". I have occasionally thought about breaking out
some body tools, a jig, and a plasma cutter and cutting (and re bending) the
rear wheel wells to match the fronts for height. Using my special "tap on it
and wiggle" toolkit, I think I've determined that there's no load bearing
members in that area, and that it wouldn't require any special body metal to
keep the interior sealed, but that's all based on my "I've got a couple
beers in me, let's go look at the van" part time obsession.

> Lastly, does anyone have any information about a sun visor that goes on
the
> outside above the windshield, I really want to put one on?!

I would think that it wouldn't be that hard to modify a metal "visor" from a
VW transporter, but I could be wrong. I'm not even sure such a product
exists in metal The best idea might be to go all custom on that one, and
just use a piece of fiberglass or light gauge lexan (hey, the drag guys use
lexan for windshields) and three or four posts from the top, though I'm not
sure how you would secure it. The standard van-roof option apparently being
"put self tapping sheet metal screws in it and lace it down into a piece of
rubber with some silicon around it", judging by the small, round, evenly
spaced skylights I've seen in other vans.