[FC] some FC questions

Sat Mar 29 02:41:01 2003

Hello everyone.  I had made some post while the site was down and I don't think
they have gone through so I will ask them again.
First off I just bought my second corvair (I am 24 and I still have never
driven anything but a corvair) a 63 standard greenbrier with a 102/pg.  My
girlfriend and I dropped the engine and replaced the diff and tranny due to a
bad tranny.  I have rebuilt the carbs and will put them on tomorrow.  I made a
post on the corvair center about how to do a tune-up on the car.  It is a
powerglide and has a cable going from the gas pedal to the cross shaft and then
a rod that goes from the cross shaft to the tranny (this is the kickdown rod).
Steve Goodmen told me "On your carb cross shaft you have a threaded hollow rod
that the cable passes through and then there is a simply cable clamp to hold it
in place. Typically you adjust all but about 1/4" out of that cable, that keeps
the cable taut against the pedal. Do that with NO fast idle on the carbs.
(chokes open) Apparently you have a PG also, the rod from the cross shaft down
to the transmission is the kick down rod. Adjust it like the book says for any
other car. I don't recall exactly but it is something about pulling the rod
until the spring pressure is felt and the adjustment on the end should be at
the extended motion of the rod, thus the spring pressure is what makes the
kickdown work. It has to be a full throttle position."  This sounds good?
I will have more question when I do some more stuff.
I just bought new tires 205/70/15 and they fit perfectly.  Has anyone ever
flared the wheel wells?
Lastly, does anyone have any information about a sun visor that goes on the
outside above the windshield, I really want to put one on?!
Thanks
Harry
66 monza sport sedan 140/pg
63 greenbrier 102/pg