[FC] Gas tank

Clark Hartzel corvanatics@corvair.org
Sun May 18 08:46:01 2003

When I last tried cleaning an FC tank I went to my local old time hardware
store and asked them what to put in it to disolve varnish and crud.  They
sold me a gallon of muriatic acid and said "don't leave it in too long".
So, I poured it in (wearing gloves and a face mask) and sloshed it around
for a minute or so.  The acid found every rust spot in the tank and within a
minute I had about 25 pin holes all leaking liquid!.  By the time I dumped
out the acid and rinsed the tank with the garden hose, some of the pin holes
were 1/4" dia.!  Needless to say that tank is beyond repair and will get
junked.  If I were going to restore an FC today I would have a local
fabricator weld up a new tank out of aluminum like they build for race cars
or boats.  Why screw around with 40 year old rusty tanks?  In fact, I
decided not to screw around with 40 year old rusty vehicles at all and I've
sold my last Corvan and have gone back to sand rails (Corvair powered of
course!)
Clark Hartzel