[FC] '64 Axle in '61 Greenbrier

K. Venzke corvanatics@corvair.org
Mon Oct 6 20:34:01 2003

Howdy, new to the group and am wondering if someone could answer some
questions for me.

I just yanked the engine/trans out of my '61 Deluxe 4 speed because 1) the
throwout bearing was wasted and 2) the differential was whining.  I have a
'64 axle and 3 speed trans from a Corvan that I'd like to separate and use
that axle in my Greenbrier.  I assume the axle will bolt right up to the
trans, but what about the clutch?  Should I use the '64 pressure plate,
disk, and throwout bearing?  Which input shaft should I use, from the '61
or '64?  Anything else I should swap or watch out for?

Concerning vendors, 25-some years ago I used to buy parts from Clark's
Corvair parts for my '62 Greenbrier I had in my teens, but now I notice
another vendor, Corvair Underground, has a nice web site.  Any opinions on
which vendor is better, or are they about the same?  I noticed that their
prices are similar.  Any other vendors I should consider?

Thanks for your help!

Kevin