[FC] '64 Axle in '61 Greenbrier

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Mon Oct 6 21:15:01 2003

Can't answer the differantial question, but I can throw some light on vendors.
Depending on where you live will make a big difference in which vendor you
use.  Shipping from the West coast to the East or vice versa is expensive and
as long as the products being offered are of similar kind and quality it would
be best to deal with which one is closer.  I am in CT and I deal almost
exclusively with Clarks because of proximity of delivery.  I like the Clarks
upholstery products as for quality and fit.  I can't speak for the Corvair
Underground similar product because I am not familiar with it.  One thing to
keep in mind is that a lot of the vendors, no matter who they are just
repackage and sell products manufactured by another company.  When it comes to
buying NOS parts, then I suggest that you buy them when you see them, because
they are becoming more scarce every year and it might not ever be available
again.  As for reproduction parts, I suggest that you buy them in advance of
the need, because many of them are not reproduced a second time.  An example
of this is the 1964 car wheel opening and rocker panel moldings.  Most of the
pieces are now gone and as far as I know there is no plan to reproduce them a
second time.  It took almost 15 years to sell off the original reproduction
pieces.  Paul in CT.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: K. Venzke
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org
  Sent: Monday, October 06, 2003 8:31 PM
  Subject: [FC] '64 Axle in '61 Greenbrier

  Howdy, new to the group and am wondering if someone could answer some
  questions for me.

  I just yanked the engine/trans out of my '61 Deluxe 4 speed because 1) the
  throwout bearing was wasted and 2) the differential was whining.  I have a
  '64 axle and 3 speed trans from a Corvan that I'd like to separate and use
  that axle in my Greenbrier.  I assume the axle will bolt right up to the
  trans, but what about the clutch?  Should I use the '64 pressure plate,
  disk, and throwout bearing?  Which input shaft should I use, from the '61
  or '64?  Anything else I should swap or watch out for?

  Concerning vendors, 25-some years ago I used to buy parts from Clark's
  Corvair parts for my '62 Greenbrier I had in my teens, but now I notice
  another vendor, Corvair Underground, has a nice web site.  Any opinions on
  which vendor is better, or are they about the same?  I noticed that their
  prices are similar.  Any other vendors I should consider?

  Thanks for your help!

  Kevin