[FC] '64 Axle in '61 Greenbrier

Tue Oct 7 07:23:01 2003

In a message dated 10/6/2003 8:34:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
zlatapie@tde.com writes:
I just yanked the engine/trans out of my '61 Deluxe 4 speed because 1) the
throwout bearing was wasted and 2) the differential was whining.  I have a
'64 axle and 3 speed trans from a Corvan that I'd like to separate and use
that axle in my Greenbrier.  I assume the axle will bolt right up to the
trans, but what about the clutch?  Should I use the '64 pressure plate,
disk, and throwout bearing?  Which input shaft should I use, from the '61
or '64?  Anything else I should swap or watch out for?

Concerning vendors, 25-some years ago I used to buy parts from Clark's
Corvair parts for my '62 Greenbrier I had in my teens, but now I notice
another vendor, Corvair Underground, has a nice web site.  Any opinions on
which vendor is better, or are they about the same?  I noticed that their
prices are similar.  Any other vendors I should consider?

Thanks for your help!

    The 64 axle will bolt right in, if you are keeping the 4 spd then use the
input shaft that was used with the 4spd trans, they are not interchangeable.
    If you use any of the 64 clutch components you will need to change the
flywheel also. Again, the parts are not interchangeable.
    I think the beginners guide has all of these answers as does the tech
guide.
    If you are a CORSA member then every other issue has a list of repair
facilities. I bet they have a fair stock of parts on hand, one may be near you.
At least go to the CORSA web site and look up repair facilities.

HANDY CAR CARE
Ken Hand
97 Peach
Pontiac, Mi.,48342