[FC] Re: <VV> Corvair Tracked Vehicle

Keith Hammett corvanatics@corvair.org
Thu Oct 9 15:15:02 2003

Where is the "trail blazer" now?  Would be nice to see such a vehicle in the
museum.

Keith Hammett

-----Original Message-----
From: corvanatics-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:corvanatics-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Diane Galli
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2003 2:02 PM
To: corvanatics@corvair.org; virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: Re: [FC] Re: <VV> Corvair Tracked Vehicle

  There were several vehicles that were designed for the military using
Corvair power trains. I do not remember the names of them without looking at
the video again. One was called the "Moccasin", an amphibious vehicle,
another was an articulating vehicle that pulled individually powered
trailers, and the list goes on and on. These were built by a company in
Santa Barbara CA, using the dunes and rough terrain of a section of the
coast as a proving ground. Vic Hickey was at the head of this company. One
of his more famous vehicles was a dune buggy type all terrain vehicle he
designed in 1961, using a Corvair engine up front, powering the vehicle on
all four wheels. He called this vehicle "Trail Blazer". He had the foresight
to copyright the name, and sold it to GM several years ago for a tidy sum to
use on their new line of SUV's. It was a hoot seeing him demonstrating this
vehicle to Ed Cole in the concrete lined LA River channel. Swooping up one
side then the other. Even his wife took her hand driving it.
        "Trail Blazer" was offered on eBay a couple years ago, but had a
reserve of $100,000, far beyond any of our means. It did not sell, to my
knowledge. Vic Hickey died last year

         Bob