[FC] Need some expert help

Clark Hartzel corvanatics@corvair.org
Mon Sep 1 13:30:01 2003

Don't forget the part number of a complete transmission is different than a
case.  When the case is cast it has a casting number, then a machined
number, then an assembled number.  It's a wonder even GM could keep track of
it!
Clark Hartzel

-----Original Message-----
From: corvanatics-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:corvanatics-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of vairpair@att.net
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2003 12:59 PM
To: Corvanatics
Subject: [FC] Need some expert help

Hey All.  I need some help with a transmission.  I have an aluminum cased 3
speed with the short output shaft.  I know that they are perculiar to 60
models.  However, on checking this one, everything matches and looks right
except the casting number on the side.  The Primer says the right number is
6256685.  Mine says 6256675.  It is a 3 speed, aluminum cased, with a
stamped
steel cover, short output shaft and the input shaft is 21 3/4 inches long.
Any ideas, comments, suggestions, is this perhaps a real early 60, or what?
Would appreciate any comments.  Thanks  Bob Bauer

---