[FC] Kamping Corvairs?

Vern McIntosh corvanatics@corvair.org
Thu Sep 11 11:37:00 2003

Paul & List,

The Corvan has been my daily driver for 30 years, I installed the roll-down
side window (and a corresponding window door on the pass side) before
painting the van in '77. Inside window parts are standard GB, the
window-opening 'frame' that I welded into the outside panel was an upper
door section. I installed the interior parts first, then located the outer
'frame' to match the stock location for that window.

The Corvan was to become a camper, but I changed my mind at least for now. I
would still like to do a Corvan camper someday as a 'Vair project, but for
now I have shifted my camper-van attention to a Vanagon. As a camper, the
Corvan is simply too short (in height) in a way that a pop-top doesn't help.
I am only 5'7" and I regularly bang my head (ouch!!) on the upper door
frame. I can stand on my tip-toes and see clear over the van.

I suspect the Vanagon body is similar to what the Corvan might have become
(with 20 more years of development), with remarkably similar outside
dimensions, except height and upper volume in general. Large windows, doors,
sliding side door, disk brakes, etc., a real plus is that the extra upper
room allows the front seats to swivel around and become part of the camper
interior.

Of course the VW drivetrain is another issue, my Vanagon project includes a
Corvair drivetrain. Fortunately, I do not have to worry about emissions
testing now (or in the foreseeable future, I hope). The goal is to have the
smooth power and extraordinary reliability I became used to in 35 years of
Corvair-only driving.

Vern McIntosh
Bend, Oregon