[FC] Added Van Third Brake Light

Sat Sep 13 04:49:01 2003

I've recently added a 40-LED third brake like to my wife's 64 Brier.  The
results look and function like OEM.  The light is a surface mount unit,
controlled through a separate solid-state brake light/turn signal coordinating relay.
To get maximum brightness, because at idle the A/C system drops available
voltage, I used a small 12-volt relay as a slave between the solid-state relay and
the light.  The S-S relay "fires" the control coil of the 12-volt relay...and
in turn, this 12-volt relay-through its load contacts-carries full battery
voltage to the third light (through a fused connection directly to the positive
battery post).  The 12-volt relay is the type typically used to cycle an A/C
clutch.  The installation is less complicated than it sounds, and wiring is
easily concealed in body cavities.  The LED light assembly, as well as the S-S
coordinating relay, are available through a company entitled: American
Technology Components.  Following is the web address to the exact page to view the
light and S-S relay:  http://www.atcomp.com/php/protype.php?type_id=4     If
address fails to work, do a google search on company name, then go to "Products",
"Brake & Exterior Lighting"....You'll want to look at the Top Mount light
(AT-LED-40), as well as the S-S Coordinating Relay (AT-LC-1).  The light has been
in operation for approximately 4-months with no glitches...I'm presently
working on a third brake light for my 67 Coupe...Things look equally promising.
Will report.
Mike Mauro
64 Greenbrier Deluxe (and other Vairs)