[FC] MORE BRAKE LIGHTS

Charles F. Doerge, Jr. corvanatics@corvair.org
Sat Sep 13 13:20:01 2003

Reading the posts on the extra brake lights reminded me of the column last
month in our Bayshore "Rear End" newsletter. My buddy Roy wrote it and it
shows what we're faced with here in the "Garden State".............

                    Bozo Award for the Month of August

This months Bozo Award goes to the New Jersey Department of Motor Vehicles.

My son Dave recently bought a little Dodge pick up truck, complete with
matching cap. He failed his initial motor vehicle inspection because he had
"too many brake lights". I can't believe that "too many brake lights" is
grounds for a failure, but appears so!

The truck being one of those "newer vehicles" had a third brake light in the
tailgate. It also had a "third brake light" in the matching cap, so now the
count is up to a total of 4 brake lights. The 2 "normal" brake lights, plus
1 in the tailgate, plus 1 in the cap.

Thinking quickly, he disconnected the "extra" brake light in the cap. They
passed him. Away from the inspection station, he reconnected the fourth
brake light. So now he runs "outlaw" with 4 brake lights.

My annual visit to the inspection station was another typical circus in
action. It seems that someone with a newer Monte Carlo added an aero wing,
which had the extra brake light in the wing. Being up on the law; this
driver disconnected his "inside" third brake light, giving him only 3
functioning brake lights.

According to this driver, the law states that the "rear most" 3rd brake
light is the one that really counts and must work. But he failed inspection
for not having his "inside 3rd brake light" working. But then that would
have given him a count of 4 working brake lights, grounds for failure.

He appeals to the head inspector who upholds his plea that only 3 brake
lights are allowed. The head inspector agrees and says he will issue a
passed inspection. But he can't get a "passed" sticker, because the
"computer" won't allow that. So they try to slot him back into line, so the
computer will allow a passed sticker to be issued. But that doesn't work
either! Their efforts to slot him in causes the computer system to lock up,
shutting down that inspection lane.

I don't know what eventually happened, I was on my way with a passed sticker
for my now 1973 "collector car registered" Corvette. On the ride home I
wondered about the Corvair / Corvette guys that replace their backup lights
with "extra" brake lights. Now is that 4 brake lights or 2 sets of dual
brake lights?

So this months Bozo Award definitely goes to the New Jersey Department of
Motor Vehicles. Congratulations guy & gals, I think this may be the first of
many. - Roy

Welcome to the Garden State!!!!        Charlie

---