[FC] unsolved death

Thu Sep 18 12:23:02 2003

Here's what happened last night;
My girlfriend drove our '61 Greenbriar to a town about 60 miles away. She
unloaded her gear, and after a half hour went to move the van. The motor turned
over but didn't catch (there's a "sweet spot" on the ignition switch). She
tried again and got nothing; no click from the starter, no dimming of the lights.
I assumed it was the ignition switch, and after driving there, I tried hot
wiring it directly from the battery to the starter, and it didn't turn over,
click, or anything. The previous owners have left a maze of disconnected and
rerouted wires, so working under the dash at midnight was useless. When we tried to
push start it (with a powerglide, no less), it wouldn't pop into gear. When I
put it into "D", nothing happened, it just kept rolling along like it was in
neutral. I suspected the powerglide or the linkage, and noticed that it was
very low on tranny fluid. The tranny cable appeared to be moving from the cab
and not bunching up. There has been a slight burning tranny fluid smell since we
got the van, but no unusual stains underneath it. If it was stuck in gear, I
don't think it would roll so easy, and it did turn over the first time she
tried to start it, so where ever the switch is that says it's in neutral so the
ignition will work was OK the first time. It had plenty of battery, but I
didn't try jump starting it. Previously, the motor would turn over and catch within
just a second or two, and it ran like a champ.

Does anyone have a tip as to where to look for the problem?