[FC] Transmission crisis!!

Charles M. Wrobel corvanatics@corvair.org
Sun Sep 21 15:11:02 2003

The 4 speed in my 63 Corvan developed major problems
last night but I managed to limp home. This morning I
went out to check the fluid level and it was way down. I
didn't have any gear oil so I dumped in a quart of 10-30
motor oil. It took the whole quart. Tested the shifting
and it's still a mess. I was hoping to take the van back
to my workplace and pick up my car so I'd at least have
a vehihcle for the day and better to limp on a sunday
than tomorrows rush.

My question: will the motor oil do any damage to the
tranny on a temporary basis or would it help to put gear
oil in there right away?

Charles