[FC] Transmission crisis!!

Patten Del R Civ AFRL/PKMA corvanatics@corvair.org
Mon Sep 22 09:05:01 2003

  Morning Tim...I have lost two input shafts...both due to failures of the
rear diff bearing...one melted the shaft through and the other we caught
just before that point but there was nothing but the bearing shell left !!
So now I ALWAYS replace that bearing if the diff has been sitting around
awhile...good time to replace that throwout bearing support too so I can get
the two seals!!  Plenty of oil but lots of shrapnel in there!!

  Del Patten...CNM

-----Original Message-----
From: N2VZD@aol.com [mailto:N2VZD@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 3:32 AM
To: corvanatics@corvair.org
Subject: Re: [FC] Transmission crisis!!

my only (thank god!) expeirience with lack of oil in a differential was
years
ago and it made it about 20 miles before it snapped the input shaft...right
as i went over the slight hump into my garage at the time. the input shaft
got
soo hot it bulged up just inside the differential near the  throw out shaft
seal  then snapped. i have seen others do the same thing.. so i now have a
nice
alignment tool / souveneer in my tool box. how it really happened is a very
long story....regards tim colson