[FC] Two-speed wiper parts/more info

Thu Sep 25 22:08:00 2003

In a message dated 9/25/2003 11:01:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dziegler3@hotmail.com writes:

> I'm speaking of the attachment stud on the motor itself that the arms to
> the
> transmission attach to. I have a 1963 Rampside that I changed to 2 speed
> wipers and had to spend at least an hour at the Corvair Ranch to find  the
> correct motor to fit my attachment arms. Maybe there was a change after
> 1961?

Dave,
The wiper motors for the 61 & most of 62 are different from the 63 and later
Corvairs. The body of the single speed wiper motor is similar to the later
motors, but it is at a strange angle. The two speed wiper motor looks like
someone added a large soup can where the "flat box' motor housing would be. Since
Rickie was talking about a 61 Rampside, I was just clarifing that the car & FC
wiper motors were the same. I have a single speed wiper in my 61 'brier, and I
also have an NOS 61 wiper motor, single speed, along with a used one, if I
ever need it. The only two speed 61-62 style wiper motor I've seen in recent
history is on a friend's 62 Monza, and there is practically no easy way to adapt
it to work with a later style wiper motor. There is a good picture of one in
the 61 Shop Manual, in the accessories section I believe... it is a monster!

As for the arms changing, I know there are two different types.... one is
held on with a sliding clip, and another is a "pivot ball-stem"... there may be
others, and variations of those to boot.

As for the later style wiper motors, I have found variations of them, some
being shorter than others of the same speed. It looks like they are date stamped
in the 63 & 64 model year if memory serves me right... maybe do some more
sleuthing on that.

As for my single speed wipers, I have one of those "intermittant" add on
critters that I have with no wiring diagram. I've been wanting to install that for
the longest time, but I have no idea where to start. I think there are seven
or eight wires, and of course the switch only has one.... the ground....
I might figure it out one of these days...
Later,
Lonzo

Lon Anderson in Crittenden, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Central Kentucky Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly editor
1961 Greenbrier pg, daily driver
1963 Greenbrier 4spd.
Check out the 2004 Convention Web Site: www.kycorsa.com