[FC] An early spring outing in our '61 Rampside

Steve Turner corvanatics@corvair.org
Tue Apr 6 22:02:00 2004

Hello:  The other morning I started up the Rampside and headed out to
purchase a Sunday paper.  All went well until on the way home (about 7 miles
one way) the temp/press light came on, went off and then came on and stayed
on.  I pulled over and checked to see whether the belt had slipped off or
oil was spraying all over the engine compartment.  Finding neither I took a
chance and drove the rest of the way home.  Of course, my concern is just
what went 'wrong'.  The belt is new but when I pushed on it, it seemed to
give too far.  Also the oil was about 1/2 qt. low.  I plan to remedy both
items but am concerned that they may not be what is causing the idiot light
to stay on.  Please walk me through the other things to check, clean, repair
etc.  Could it be that the oil cooler is gunked up?  This Rampside has been
very dependable and as a matter of fact I drove it home from Oklahoma over a
year ago with no problems whatsoever.  Thanks for the tips! Steve