[FC] Why Vacuum Advance?

galaxyflyer1 corvanatics@corvair.org
Wed Apr 7 15:26:08 2004

 Hi all, Maybe I can get some input on your thoughts about this and a little history on the purpose of the vacuum advancing system. (Lets leave the centrifugal advance out for now.)
>From what I understand is that the vacuum advance system used on our Corvairs is the ported method. Meaning that as we accelerate, more vacuum enters the diaphragm therefore advancing the timing. We set the timing per specs and advance it until we here it ping (via road testing) then back it up.

But what is the purpose for getting top advance when accelerating only, therefore getting a retard when de-accelerating or while the engine is just idling. Why not remove the vacuum line (plug it) and set the timing for peak advance before ping (road test) and therefore have optimum advance all the time?

Thanks,

Bob