[FC] Steer me in the right direction, please!

Kathrin Owens corvanatics@corvair.org
Thu Aug 12 18:44:00 2004

My vans steering box is repeatedly springing / damaging its recirculating ball guides and dropping ball bearings from the worm nut / sector shaft assembly. All of the usual wear and tear items have been replaced (i.e. upper and lower bearings with racks, and pitman shaft bushing). Also, when reinstalled, the steering box is indexed so as to provide for an equal amount of rotation from neutral steering to full lock left and right (approximately 2.25 turns).
This vehicle has the following modifications / upgrades:
-         non-stock Chevy 14x 6 wheels (205-60-R14 tires)
-         lowered suspension (approximately 2.5 lower than stock)
-         aftermarket steering dampener
-         aftermarket front sway bar

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Kathrin Owens
thoroughbred444@earthlink.net
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.