[FC] Steer me in the right direction, please!

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Thu Aug 12 19:00:01 2004

My guess is that whom ever is doing the rebuilding of the box doesn't know
what they are doing.  If the box were rebuilt properly, there should be no
damage to the balls.  If the top adjusting screw is not being adjusted
properly, then every time that you turn the wheel past TDC (Top Dead Center)
you are crushing the balls and breaking the chrome plating off of them.  If
you do this too often, then you will also be doing damage to the other
internal parts and this could render the entire box unusable for rebuilding.
Paul in CT
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kathrin Owens
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org
  Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 5:45 PM
  Subject: [FC] Steer me in the right direction, please!

  My vans steering box is repeatedly springing / damaging its recirculating
ball guides and dropping ball bearings from the worm nut / sector shaft
assembly. All of the usual wear and tear items have been replaced (i.e. upper
and lower bearings with racks, and pitman shaft bushing). Also, when
reinstalled, the steering box is indexed so as to provide for an equal amount
of rotation from neutral steering to full lock left and right (approximately
2.25 turns).
  This vehicle has the following modifications / upgrades:
  -         non-stock Chevy 14x 6 wheels (205-60-R14 tires)
  -         lowered suspension (approximately 2.5 lower than stock)
  -         aftermarket steering dampener
  -         aftermarket front sway bar

  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

  Kathrin Owens
  thoroughbred444@earthlink.net
  Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.