[FC] Alternater rating

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Thu Dec 9 16:49:01 2004

the original alternators were 37 amp for the cars and 65 FC.... the a/c cars
had an optional 42 amp alternator.  The optional generator was a 35 amp LCI
(low cut in) generator.  It can easily be recognized by the metal band
covering the brush area and it is considerably larger than the stock
generator.  Also, the front and rear end plates were cast iron.... Paul in
CT......
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: TiM M
  To: FC list
  Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2004 4:42 PM
  Subject: [FC] Alternater rating

  I just got the new charger installed in my electric
  rampside, I can now charge at the public charging
  stations.... The down side is the new charger charges
  the main pack only, not the 12V like the old charger
  did. For now I'll be charging it separately at home
  with a regular battery charger. I'm planning on adding
  a DC to DC converter which acts as a electronic
  alternator. I need to know how many amps the truck
  draws. I could get a big ammeter on the 12V line and
  turn on the blinkers, the brake lights the high beams
  and the wipers and see what the draw is... but I
  figured it would be easier to ask what the rating of
  the original alternator was...

  Thanks,

  TiM McCann
  '61 Electric Rampside