[FC] Re: <VV> brake drum

Keith Hammett corvanatics@corvair.org
Tue Feb 10 17:29:03 2004

Thanks Ken,

I hadn't thought of it dampening vibration.  This was more out of curiosity
than anything, always nice to understand what you got.

Keith Hammett

-----Original Message-----
From: corvanatics-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:corvanatics-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of VairMech@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 10:25 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org; corvanatics@corvair.org
Subject: [FC] Re: <VV> brake drum

In a message dated 2/10/2004 11:12:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
khammett@stainlessfab.com writes:
Since I am on the brake drum question...  What is the purpose of the
"spring" that is on the FC brake drum?  Is to provide cooling?

    The reason for the spring on the front drums is noise abatement. You
don't really need it but it does dampen a squeal that will happen now and
then.
With the different brake materials out that probably has changed the
vibrating
characteristics so you don't need the spring.
    Ken Hand