[FC] Re: <VV> Special Oil Filter Bolt for Sender

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Tue Feb 10 22:40:02 2004

Aluminum isn't as good a conductor as copper.  I would use a solid copper
gasket.  It might cost $.25 at a good auto parts store, or stop by any
Mercedes Benz dealer and ask them for one.  A new one comes with every oil
filter.  Mercedes recommends replacing them with every oil change!!!!!!
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jim Simpson
  To: * Greenbrier Goon * ; corvanatics@corvair.org ;
virtualvairs@skiblack.com
  Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 6:18 PM
  Subject: [FC] Re: <VV> Special Oil Filter Bolt for Sender

  I've used crushable aluminum washer gaskets in place of the standard fiber
  gasket at the base of the bolt.  They are conductive, but it's been a bit
  hit or miss as to getting a good seal.  (I've been using the aluminum
  gaskets from Acura/Honda oil pan drain bolts -- they're the softest I can
  find.)

  Lately I've just taken to wrapping a piece of copper wire in the gap
  between the bolt and oil filter adapter -- it's snug against the fiber
  washer and pretty well hidden in there.  Seems to work fine.

  Jim Simpson, Group Corvair, '66 Corsa turbo