[FC] Re: FC designer

Joel McGregor corvanatics@corvair.org
Fri Jul 2 21:39:00 2004

I would love to see some pictures of that...   Thanks,

Joel in Keller, TX (DFW area)
'66 Corsa w/air
'63 Greenbrier
'63 900 Convertible
'67 Monza
15 others

-----Original Message-----
From: corvanatics-admin@corvair.org [mailto:corvanatics-admin@corvair.org]
On Behalf Of EconoUSAParts@aol.com
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2004 2:53 PM
To: corvanatics@corvair.org
Subject: [FC] Re: FC designer

       I was just wondering if anyone has any of the history info on the
design and development of the FC vairs. A member at the Econo site just
recently
discovered(after many many dead ends and countless hours of research) who
the
designer of the 61-67 Ford Econoline was. Since I just know you are all
sitting
on pins and needles waiting for the answer Im gonna tell you it was Roy
Brown. Roy is currently providing some info on the production and design of
the
trucks he designed. Some of you may recognize the name of Roy Brown as the
same
guy who designed the Edsel. Kind of as "punishment" so to speak for the flop
of
his Edsel design,Roy was assigned to the task of designing Fords new basic
truck/van line to directly compete with the soon to be released Corvair line
which I believe was developed to compete with the VW's.
       Roy is now in his 90's with declining health and thru short
conversations is providing our contact with him some very interesting and
valuable info
about these unique vehicles which had huge sales volumes over the years;a
far
cry from what the Edsel produced.
       Ok, I got a little sidetracked there for a minute.  So does anyone
have any info similar to this?
       Have you guys seen the pre Corvair van concept design of the
L'Universalle. (I think I spelled that correct.) Its a combination of a
Nomad
rear
section and a Corvair van front combined all into one. Its got a unique 2
piece
side folding door that opens upward. I can supply pics if anyone is
interested
in seeing it.

                                                       Tim in Ky
                                                Econo USA Parts
                                 Your used 61-67 Econoline parts source
                               Constantly parting out E100 vans and trucks
                                            A100 parts also available

                                                  Ebay Falcon1966