[FC] Re: FC Registry

Sun Jul 4 13:54:00 2004

In a message dated 7/4/2004 12:16:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
corvanatics-request@corvair.org writes:

> I'm not sure run-of-the-mill FCs are rare enough to justify a Registry, I
> think Kent has the right idea to register the models which were few to
begin
> with. Here in the west there are still many FCs, even 'on the road'.

       Vern, just my 2 cents, which isnt worth but about half a cent these
days with inflation,but if you only keep track of what you or others
*perceive*
as rare,unique,or few to begin with, then you may miss out on some really cool
oddities on some of the other models that have some strange options installed
on them and possibly one of the rarest models of all, like my no side door
extended 65 Ford "true panel" van thats about as rare as hens teeth. Some
folks
have no clue that what they own may be super rare. Another thing to consider
is that the majority of owners do not own the *few* models you refer to,rather
they own the more popular ones which they may want to find out info on such as
production numbers on certain models so they know just how rare "their"
vehicle is. Is this registry being made to serve all Vair FC enthusiasts or
just
the few with rare models? Im sure time to maintain the registry is also
something to be considered. Also its important to have a backup of it in case
of
catastrophey such as fire,earthquake or worse yet death of the data collector.
Don
English in California has a database of the Fords also along with Jay Long.
       Im not sure what all the  Corvair VIN tag info can tell a person but
on the Fords it has a number to tell what district it came from if it was a
special order. From that you can get an idea of why certain models or options
were more popular in certain areas or ONLY available in certain areas of the
country. California comes to mind with the emissions and the smog pump which
you
wont find installed in other areas. Also the heater delete is common out west.
In Alaska their trucks were fitted with tracks installed in place of the usual
4 tires,just kidding,a little humor never hurts:-)
       I ve been out west and I know what you mean about a lot of older
vehicles still on the road. Its the exact opposite though back east here. I
drive
for a living and can honestly say I cant recall seeing a Corvair van or pickup
on the road anywhere in my area in the last 15 years or so except at shows and
when I see Lon Anderson tooling around in one of his. Now that Lons moved
down south I ll be the only one in the area cruising in one I guess. I also
only
know of 2 other folks in my area with early Econoline vans, 2 with Chevys,and
only 1 Dodge A100. You guys out west are much more fortunate than us back here
in the rust belt.
       Im not trying to tell anyone what they have to keep track of or how to
do it,especially since Im a new guy here, but I do have a little insight into
it from my own personal experience with owning several other early FC trucks
and vans and also seeing the benefits from the registry over the years.
       I havent owned an early Chevy van yet but its not because I dont want
to. Fords are just much more common than the Chev or Dodge by about a 10 to 1
ratio,at least in my area,partly due to the fact that they were introduced in
1961 and the Dodge and Chev line werent introduced until 1964.
       Again,just one mans opinion tossed into the arena.

                                                       Tim in Ky
                                                Econo USA Parts
                                 Your used 61-67 Econoline parts source
                               Constantly parting out E100 vans and trucks
                                            A100 parts also available

                                                  Ebay Falcon1966