[FC] gas heater

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Sun Jul 4 23:11:02 2004

Tim.... I have the original FC line that installed into the top of the tank
and it is a short tube that is soldered to a brass fitting.  This fitting
screwed into a hole at the top of the tank and the fuel just poured back into
the tank.  It never came anywhere near the bottom, being that it is about 4"
long.  I supplied all the OEM pipes for the cars and the FC's to Cal Clark,
but they didn't reproduce all of them.  Only the ones that they felt there was
going to be a sufficient demand for.  I have a NOS gas heater and they used
these for the patterns.  I have also supplied Clarks with gas heater foam
gaskets, but I never found out if they ever finished the reproduction.  My
guess is that it was a abandoned project for lack of interest.  The only
gasket that I was never able to find is the large gasket that goes between the
firewall and the heater on the FC.   It is interesting to note that the
factory supplied both the hot air heater and the gas heater on FC's that were
delivered to ACC Manufacturing, for FC's that were being converted to
ambulance duty.  It was a novel set up that was used to make it so both could
be working at the same time.  Too complicated to put into words, so please
don't ask how it was done... Paul in CT.....
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: N2VZD@aol.com
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org
  Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2004 11:05 PM
  Subject: Re: [FC] gas heater

  there are several shortcuts to installing gas heaters in cars and
vans...like
  the gas feed from a tee near the carb instead of the hard to find 4 way
  fitting for the pump and drilling an eigth inch hole in the filler pipe for
the
  return line (except most vans which have the fitting ready in the top of the
  tank..BUT the line should go to the bottom of the tank not just to the
fitting)
  and picking better route for fuel feed lines.  just buy the steel lines and
bend
  them with your thumb.  works fine. regards tim colson