[FC] Differential side bearing

Bill Wells corvanatics@corvair.org
Tue Jul 6 09:01:02 2004

Charles,

I have removed several FC bearings from the axle
successfully. Here is what I do.
For tools, you will need a bearing separator. I use an
OTC PT 1124. This was about 140 bucks, but has to be
top quality.
I use a Harbor Freight 12 ton press. This is just
barely long and strong enough for the job. I have to
remove the lug studs to give me enough travel on the
press.
Soak the joint between bearing and axle with a
penetrant oil and bolt the separator below the puller
ring. Make sure you are not in the groove on the axle.
As per typical hydraulic press use, you will require
various blocks and pieces of steel to use as supports
for the separator.
About half the time, the puller ring will be ruined
during the process, but I have never ruined a bearing.

This is not a walk in the park, but as you have found
out, you can't trust just anyone with these bearings.

Good Luck,
Bill