[FC] Differential side bearing

John corvanatics@corvair.org
Tue Jul 6 17:08:01 2004

To be successful you need the right equipment and the original puller
ring must be in place, i.e. the ring that's on the axle before the
bearing is installed.  You need a large press (50 ton +) and a heavy
duty forged bearing separator.  Alignment of the axle in the press in
important, you must push along the center axis, or you will bend the
axle.  The stubborn ones break free at about 40 tons.  Makes a really
loud noise when it lets go.  I usually sleeve the axle shaft with a lose
fitting pipe.  Just a bit of extra safety if the shaft shatters.  The
puller ring usually bends and sometimes breaks.  A machine shop that
deals with heavy trucks, or agricultural equipment would likely have the
right equipment.

Other techniques use heating cooling cycles and pentrants to help free
the bearing inter race to axle bond.  Hard to do if you want to save the
bearing especially if you don't first disassemble the bearing.

John

Charles wrote:

> Hi all,

SNIP

> I have another question: Has anyone sucsessfully separated a rear axle
> bearing from the axle shaft without destroying the bearing of course?
>  If so, what's the secret?

SNIP