[FC] VIN #

Ben Stiles corvanatics@corvair.org
Tue Jul 6 21:44:01 2004

Hello.  I will try to make this e-mail as short as possible.  Long story
short, my parents have finally moved into an apartment.  Their house, and
forty years worth of stuff is currently being gone through.  The fact that
dad and mom are packrats is usually a nightmare, but we did find some cool
stuff of interest to you FCers.

In his filing cabinet, several 1960s issues of Field and Stream magazine.
In them, plenty of information on Corvair van camper conversions and set
ups.  What a wonderful thing for me!!!  Also, the 1959 Popular Mechanics
issue introducing the Corvair and some other American subcompacts.

Another thing, and the best of all, is that dad found a slip dated 12-8-69
which requested a transfer tags and registration from his Greenbrier to a
'66 Chevy van.  Dad had taken the Greenbrier on several long trips and
enjoyed it, but also had some trouble with it.  The change to the Chevy van
was easy for him, and he later moved to a stretched wheelbase (108") Chevy
van with dealer installed camper kit.  Anyway, the VIN # for his Greenbrier
was on the title transfer sheet!!!  It is listed as a 1961 Greenbrier, but
the VIN suggests it to be a 1962.  So, all you 1962 Greenbrier owners
(especially those of you on the East coast), check those VIN numbers.  You
could be the owner of my dad's first van...here it is:

2R126F104798

Please let me know if you own this Greenbrier.  I would love to know what it
has been up to!

Ben Stiles