[FC] two items

Dale Dewald corvanatics@corvair.org
Mon Jun 7 14:19:02 2004

At 11:16 PM 6/5/04 -0400, Ben Stiles wrote:
<snip>
>Coming to a pace where I neededto turn, I pushed the brakes soft then
>harder.  I felt like I was hydroplaning when I pushed them harder and felt
>like the steering was on its
>own.  I don't think this is the case.  This is a '61 Rampside with manually
>adjusted brakes.  Is there any reason why this might have happened??

When you applied your brakes softly, they dried out--if they were even wet
in the first place.  When applied harder you probably started skidding.
FWIW, wet skids feel different than skids on ice, or even snow or dirt for
that matter.

>Also, what causes engine backfire?  The Rampside backfired twice today
>sounding like a bomb going off each time.  This happened right after I shut
>off the engine.

Unburned fuel accumulating in the exhaust system causes backfire.  Did your
engine run-on a bit after turning off the ignition?

Dale Dewald
Hancock, (UP) MI