[FC] Re: engine lite/fan belt/motor size

Joel McGregor corvanatics@corvair.org
Sat Jun 26 22:59:00 2004

'60 was 140ci, '61-'63 145ci, and '64-'69 164ci.  All Corvairs of the same
year have the same engine size.  There is a code stamped in the block
between the fan shroud and the oil filter housing that will tell you what
the block originally was but that doesn't mean someone didn't change the
crank.  The block doesn't take much modification to install a late model
crank from what I've been told.  The stroke and piston pin height are the
main differences between the 145ci and 164ci.  The 164ci engines have a
magnesium fan and a harmonic balancer also.  The '61 engine had manual
chokes and the fan blades (steel) started at the shroud.  The '62-'63 steel
fans had blades that come all the way to the center.

Joel in Keller, TX (DFW area)
'66 Corsa w/air
'63 Greenbrier
'63 900 Convertible
'67 Monza
15 others

-----Original Message-----
From: corvanatics-admin@corvair.org [mailto:corvanatics-admin@corvair.org]
On Behalf Of EconoUSAParts@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2004 9:51 PM
To: corvanatics@corvair.org
Subject: [FC] Re: engine lite/fan belt/motor size

In a message dated 6/26/2004 12:16:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
corvanatics-request@corvair.org writes:

> Tim....... the engine light coming on when you do a rapid de acceleration
is
> common and nothing to be worried about.  If the light comes on and doesn't
go
> off, that indicates that you have broken a fan belt and MUST stop the
engine
> before any damage is done.  Carry a spare fan belt at all times.  Paul in
> CT.....

   Thx for the tips Paul. Its good to know the light probably isnt an issue.
I ll check the belt just to be safe.
       I have no idea what size my motor is. How do I tell that?

                                                       Tim in Ky
                                                Econo USA Parts
                                 Your used 61-67 Econoline parts source
                               Constantly parting out E100 vans and trucks
                                            A100 parts also available

                                                  Ebay Falcon1966